Freedom’s just another word for nothing left to lose – Me and Bobbi McGee
Social media marketing and “luxury real estate” are, at first blush, not mutually exclusive; however, if you really take a look at the origins of “social marketing” and what the “internet” actually is, you can see why they are so often mismatched.
In spite of the uncertainty of the real estate market, economic conditions (for most) have been less than stellar in the past 7 years. This is where the “social” comes in.
- It’s not “social” because we can add a facebook image on our business site.
- It’s not “social” because we can post it to our 4,999 friends (knowing full well that over 4,500 of these so-called “friends” are not really that at all)—that’s wall spam—at best.
- It’s not “social” because we can use our personal and business twitter streams to advertise.
- it’s not “social” because we know about it.
It’s social because of the freedom.
These freedoms, however, are not guaranteed. They are learned, as well as earned, through their understanding. Below is what gnu.org has on their site (gnu is one of the pillars that enables social media):
Free software is a matter of the users’ freedom to run, copy, distribute, study, change and improve the software. More precisely, it refers to four kinds of freedom, for the users of the software:
- The freedom to run the program, for any purpose (freedom 0).
- The freedom to study how the program works, and adapt it to your needs (freedom 1). Access to the source code is a precondition for this.
- The freedom to redistribute copies so you can help your neighbor (freedom 2).
- The freedom to improve the program, and release your improvements to the public, so that the whole community benefits (freedom 3). Access to the source code is a precondition for this.
Before “diving” to social marketing it makes sense to know this because it’s not the cure all for broken marketing tactics. In fact, in a lot of ways, it’s more complex. Because it requires some of this understanding.
When I lived in NYC 9 years ago—at exactly this time of year to the day (9-9-01)—the world was different. Not different because of pre 9/11. It’s different because I remember developing an “online marketing” website on GeoCities.com…
Marketing real estate through these new “streams” makes. However, if you are going to just use the respective shareware logos and not understand them, business as usual might still be the most effective marketing strategy.